whole mother
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breastfeeding Stories

3 posters

Go down

Breastfeeding Stories Empty Breastfeeding Stories

Post  Ilithyia Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:41 am

I find a really fun way of learning something is hearing about other people's experiences. When I was pregnant with my daughter I read hundreds of birth stories in preparation and a few breastfeeding stories. Come and share your breastfeeding stories so that we can learn from each other and hopefully inspire some mums to be in the future Smile

For more breastfeeding stories you can check out this amazing website ibreastfed which catalogues many diverse breastfeeding stories, with tags for various issues women have overcome, mine is already on there so I'll link to it rather than cut and paste:

Self-Loathing to Love
Ilithyia
Ilithyia

Back to top Go down

Breastfeeding Stories Empty Re: Breastfeeding Stories

Post  artymama Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks for the link Lith. Typing up my story now.
artymama
artymama

Back to top Go down

Post  Nut Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:12 pm

With my eldest daughter I wanted to breast feed for a year then wean rapidly .... I guess, I didn't really think much about it Laughing But after a HORRIFIC surgical experience which left me with an infected scar that kept popping open and an undiagnosed tongue tie in my daughter I didn't manage that year. I didn't realise it at the time, but every single nurse, midwife, and even the lactation consultant at the hospital, gave me stupid and contradictory advice. the lactation consultant takes the cake though, because as I sat in tears (third day blues, very painful scar etc) trying to get my baby to latch onto dry, cracked and bleeding nipples, and as I cried trying to find a comfortable way to hold her, she piped up impatiently "there are other women here who are SERIOUS about breastfeeding yk". She didn't stay for long after she'd advised me to formula feed and pump as much as I could. I fed her for 5 months, and with nipple shields we got into the swing of it, but ofcourse I was already feeding formula so my supply was less than optimal. One morning my partner announced that I had no milk left, ripped the baby away from me, and she was formula fed ever after. I remember crying so hard then. I wish I'd spoken to someone who KNEW something instead of listening to him ... but hindsight is always 20/20.

My second experience with feeding is still ongoing. It began with greater determination, much more knowledge, and much more support. The birth didn't go to plan, it was a tf to c/sec, but I did go into labour naturally, and avoided the cascade of interventions, drugs, and I bonded with him instantly. I felt like I'd known him al my life despite the fact that he was confiscated for a very very long time (9 hours or more off the top of my head). At first it hurt a bit, but he was a natural, and my nipples calmed down fast. During James' pregnancy he nearly weaned when the milk dried up, but fortunately when it came in again after James was born he took to it again - including night feeds DARN IT Laughing - and he kept me from getting engorged or from taking nasty drugs to dry it up. Although, it's worth noting that on my hospital records they show that I was given those drugs Suspect (another dodgy bit of my records, there's NO WAY I had them). So now he's 3.5 and still boobing along happily. I night weaned him a few months ago coz I got sick of being the human dummy all bloody night. He was very ready for it coz it took two nights. Last night is the first night he's slept through as long as I can remember! I hope it's habit forming coz I don't want to be night parenting two kids! I'm a little bit concerned that he will wean when my milk dries up this pregnancy, but he's had a good innings when you look at it, and he will be over 4 when the baby comes. Only time will tell I guess!
Nut
Nut
Admin

https://wholemother.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum